Hoover Dam: Sightseeing Tours From Las Vegas
There's a Las Vegas Hoover Dam tour for every budget. Bus, helicopter, and airplane - they're all affordably spectacular. If you've ever wanted to see this icon of engineering, do it while visiting Vegas.
Hoover Dam is situated only 45 minutes from Las Vegas. The arch-gravity structure has been holding back the Colorado River for more than 75 years. This dam defines what it means to be huge. Check out these facts:
1. It's 726.4-feet tall, making it the second tallest dam in the U.S. behind the Grand Coulee in Washington state.
2. It's 1,244-feet long. The dam crosses formidable Black Canyon and connects Nevada with Arizona.
3. It's 660-feet thick. Before the Mike O'Callaghan-Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge opened in Oct. 2010, the top of the bridge was a two-lane road on which 13,000 to 16,000 cars crossed daily. How popular is Hoover Dam? Between eight to 10 million people visit it annually, coming by bus, helicopter, and airplane.
Bus tours are the most economical way to see the bridge. Trips include hotel pick up and drop off and lunch. The motor coach goes through Henderson and Boulder City, NV, and then along Lake Mead National Recreation Area before descending into Black Canyon. Now starts your Hoover Dam tour, which may include:
1. Strolling atop the dam from Nevada to Arizona.
2. The official U.S. Government's V.I.P. Discovery Tour of the Interior (takes you to the bottom to see the turbine generators at work).
3. Exploring the Visitor's Center's exhibits, movie room, and observation deck.
It's possible to bundle a helicopter flight, plane ride, or boat cruise into your bus tour package. Trip duration for the basic bus package is 3.5 hours.
Helicopter and airplane air tours are also available. Flights leave from Las Vegas every day of the year. The flight plan includes Lake Mead and Hoover Dam. Helicopters fly at a lower altitude than airplanes, which usually include Hoover Dam as part of a Grand Canyon West Rim air package. Tour duration ranges from 3.5 hours to 5.5 hours. Both packages bundle free hotel shuttle service.
Reserve your tour to Hoover Dam in advance. There are two reasons for this: 1) It's cheaper; and 2) you're sure to get a great seat. For the cheapest prices, I strongly recommend you purchase your tour online. Buy direct from the tour operator if you want the best price. I know it sound counter-intuitive, but it's the company that's running the tour that will sell it to you at the lowest price.
Las Vegas Hoover Dam tours are perfect for travelers looking for a quick day trip from the Las Vegas Strip. There's an adventure for every budget. Bus tours are the most economical. Helicopters are best for getting a true bird's eye view of the dam. Airplane tours include the dam as part of the flight to the West Rim. Hoover Dam's been fascinating visitors for years. View it airborne or by foot - you will not be disappointed.
by Kelly Kirbee
Related Articles and Readings
The information provided in this article and/or the comments is the sole responsibility of their respective authors and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of ezinepost.com. ezinepost.com does not endorse any article and/or comments published by our web users unless otherwise noted.