Getting A Second Extension To File 2004 TaxesGetting A Second Extension To File 2004 Taxes

Millions of people file tax return extensions every year. The tax filing deadlines can rush up on your quickly. Fortunately, filing an extension isn't particularly difficult. For individuals, there are two available extensions.

Automatic Extension

What do you do if April 15th is approaching and you simply can't get your taxes done? The IRS allows you to file a request for a four-month extension to file your tax returns. Simply file form 4868 and you will automatically be given until August 15th to get your return in.

Second Extension

What do you do if August 15th is quickly approaching and you still can't get your returns together? You can file an additional request for an extension to file your tax returns. Unfortunately, the IRS isn't going to automatically grant your request. Instead, you have to show the following:

1. The reason for requesting the extension,

2. The particular tax return for which the extension of time to file is desired,

3. The tax year to which the extension applies,

4. The length of time needed for the extension, and

5. Whether another extension of time to file has already been granted for this tax year.

If you can provide credible information, the IRS will grant you an additional extension for two months. To request the extension, you must file form 2688.

Failing To File

Failing to file a tax return or application for extension is a bad move. Penalties can be as high as 5% for each month your return is late. The penalty does max out at 25% of the tax due, but your risk of an audit or having your return red flagged increases dramatically. Filing a tax return extension is fairly simple, so you should never have this problem.

by Richard Chapo
References and Bibliography

Richard Chapo is CEO of - Obtaining tax refunds for small businesses by finding overlooked tax deductions and credits through a free tax return review. Read additional tax articles at for more information.

Rated:NR/0 Votes
Add To My Article Reading List
Add To My Article Reading List
Print Article
More Article By Richard Chapo
More Article by Richard Chapo
More Articles From Taxes
More Articles From Taxes
Related Articles and Readings
Didnt File Anything With the IRS on April 15th By: Richard Chapo
The magic tax date of April 15th has passed. If you did not file a tax return or extension request, you need to consider the following.Didn't File Anything with the IRS on April 15th?The Internal Revenue Service is a bit touchy about filing tax returns. It would prefer you to ...
SFR Substitute for Returns IRS Action on NonFilers By: James Coleman
In the latest Star Wars episode, the evil empire executes a brutal revenge on the Jedi. While the IRS is not an evil empire (and due to the Revenue Reform Act of 1998 not very brutal anymore); it too is executing revenge on those who do not comply with ...
Six Month Extension to File Form 1040 Now Available By: Alan D Campbell
Taxpayers may request an automatic extension of time to file their individual income tax returns (Form 1040) on Form 4868. The form is available on the IRS Web site. In previous years, the automatic extension was good for four months. Taxpayers could request an additional extension of two months by ...
I Havent Filed a Tax Return with IRS in Years What Do I Do By: James Coleman
In elementary school, kids come up with creative excuses why they did not bring in their homework. "My dog ate it" or "It was stolen by invisible space aliens" might be given as a reason why something was not turned in on time. Don't try those excuses with ...
Will You Make The 39 Cent Mistake This Tax Season By: Wayne Davies
When it comes to filing your tax return, spending 39 cents could be the biggest mistake you ever make.Millions of taxpayers make the mistake of putting their income tax return in a regular letter-sized envelope, sticking on a 39 cent stamp, and placing the envelope in the mailbox.And millions of ...
The information provided in this article and/or the comments is the sole responsibility of their respective authors and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of  does not endorse any article and/or comments published by our web users unless otherwise noted. 

Member Panel

login to submit articles and more


  • » Active Categories: 419
  • » Active Articles:251893
  • » Active Authors:32244
  • » Active Members: 31843
  • » Statistics Updated:
    - Sun Apr 1st, 2018 06:13PM EST